Sports Assemblies came into existence after the release in 1983 of the policy paper ‘Sport in Victoria’. This paper covered all future aspects of planning, development and funding for sport. It recognised the need to cover many regional areas. The concept of ‘Sports Assemblies’ was born.
Goulburn Region Sports Assembly
In 1984 a sports council comprising of people who were nominated by sporting bodies, government and local council was formed and so the notion of ‘self-management of sport by sport’ began for the Goulburn region.
On the 18th June 1985 the Goulburn Region Sports Assembly was officially incorporated. After four years of operation the organisation opted for a name change, the Goulburn Valley Sports Assembly was born on the 2nd August 1989.
Reflecting moving practices, on the 2nd February 2000, the organisation changed the business name to Valley Sport, still this remains today.
Valley Sport is not-for-profit sporting organisation located in Shepparton, Victoria which supports grass root sport and recreation clubs in the local governments areas of:
- Greater Shepparton City Council
- Benalla Rural City
- Mansfield Shire Council
- Mitchell Shire Council
- Moira Shire Council
- Murrindindi Shire Council
- Strathbogie Shire Council
Valley Sport’s Vision is:
- To develop healthy, active and connected communities through sport and recreation.
Improved sustainability of programs, people facilities and financial resources
- Inclusive participation
Improved accessibility that encourages participation and engagement
- Expert knowledge
Promote continuous learning and seek to be expert industry leaders
Leverage new and existing partnerships for the greatest returns and outcomes
Pioneer thinking to promote positive change and outcomes for all
The Aims of Valley Sport are:
- Develop healthy and connected communities through sport and recreation.
- To work collaboratively with good governance and transparency.
- Deliver programs that meet contractual requirements and our organisational vision.
Valley Sport does this by:
- Providing information, advice, support and club development activities for clubs in the Goulburn Valley.
- Acting as the voice for sport and recreation organisations in the Goulburn Valley.
- Facilitating meetings, training and education for sporting clubs in the Goulburn Valley region.
- Promoting and supporting projects that provide improved sport and recreation outcomes for the Goulburn Valley region.
- Ensuring the region has input into sport and recreation policies, priorities and decisions throughout Victoria.
Purposes of Valley Sport:
- Act as the voice for sport and recreation organisations in the region.
- Promote a greater awareness of sport and recreation organisations in the region.
- Promote meetings, education and other activities for the region.
- Promote, encourage and provide facilities for the development of sport.
- Represent the regions interests of sport and recreation at all levels.
- Encourage co-operation amongst sport and recreation clubs in the region.
- Liaise with levels of government to initiate projects to meet the needs of the region.
- Pursue, support, promote and conduct projects that relate to sport and recreation.
- Ensure regional input into sport and recreation policies, priorities and decisions throughout the state of Victoria.
- Affiliate with organisations in and around the region which have objectives similar to the outcomes of Valley Sport.
- Collect, distribute and publish information in connection with sport and recreation related issues.
- Lobby and maintain government, media, commercial and public recognition of sport and recreation in the region.