Valley Sport works to:
- Increase participation opportunities for people with a disability
- Increase participation opportunities for older people
- Help integrate new arrivals and people from the CALD community into community sport
- Link clubs and the community to increase their knowledge of sports and clubs available
- Support SSA’s to implement modified sport opportunities within the region
Valley Sport are a proud advocate and strong supporter of participation in sport and active recreation. We believe that involvement in organised sport and informal recreation leads to a healthier and happier life. Our team collaborates heavily with local clubs, community groups, leagues and State Sporting Associations to provide the best possible opportunity for Goulburn Valley residents to life active and healthier lifestyle.
Our networks and partnerships support modified sporting opportunities that are produced by state sporting associations and governing bodies. We provide a vital link in ensuring that these formats and new initiatives receive the opportunity to take place within the region and that they are sustainable going forwards.
We look for opportunities to provide pathways into sport for people with a disability while also advocating for elite level training and development. With the Goulburn Valley being two and a half hours from Melbourne we work with our sister organisations as part of Regional Sport Victoria to constantly advocate for equal access to services for our local communities.
Covering the local government areas of Greater Shepparton, Moira, Mitchell, Murrindindi, Mansfield, Benalla and Strathbogie we work with local councils to ensure that all sports have equal access to playing surfaces and support clubs and councils looking to upgrade their local facilities through funding applications and long term strategic planning.
Physical Activity for young people (12-17 year olds) and women and girls
Through this program, VicHealth will partner with Victoria’s nine Regional Sports Assemblies, including Valley Sport to improve the health of regional Victorians.
Regional Sports Assemblies will:
- Support clubs to implement social or modified sport programs for young people (12-17) or women and girls (e.g. State Sporting Association programs)
- Address gaps in participation pathways by supporting clubs to introduce new teams, programs or competitions for young people (12-17) or women and girls
- Support clubs to use club facilities and venues as places for delivering active recreation opportunities (e.g. Yoga in Bowls Clubs)
This Girl Can Campaign
This Girl Can – Victoria is an empowering campaign from VicHealth. It aims to celebrate and support Victorian women to embrace physical activity in a way that suits you.
Valley Sport is a supporter of the This Girl Can campaign if you would like to get involved please contact Valley Sport on (03) 5831 8456.
The Regional Sport Program 2018-2021
The Regional Sport Program 2018-21 is an investment under the VicHealth Physical Activity Strategy 2018-23 that aims to engage less active Victorians in rural and regional areas in sport. For more information click HERE.
If you are interested in getting involved contact Valley Sport on (03) 5831 8456.